Date published: January 12 2019
Max Verstappen will attend this weekend’s Marrakech E-Prix as his public service for thrice shoving Esteban Ocon in the wake of last year’s Brazilian GP.
The FIA came down on the Red Bull driver when he got physical with Ocon, who he blamed for crashing into him and robbing him of the win in Sao Paulo.
Verstappen was unrepentant, saying several times in the ensuing weeks that he would do it again.
His actions earned him a public service order from the FIA, who said at the time: “The Stewards understood from Max Verstappen that he was extremely upset by the incident on track during the race and accepted his explanation that it was not his original intent to strike Ocon, but that he was ‘triggered’ and caused him to lose his temper.
“While sympathetic to Verstappen’s passion, the Stewards determined that it is the obligation of sportsmen at this level to act appropriately and as role models to other drivers at all levels and found that Verstappen failed in this respect.”
Verstappen has been ordered to report to the stewards’ office at the at the Circuit International Automobile Moulay El Hassan on Saturday.
Former F1 driver Vitantonio Liuzzi is the drivers’ steward for the weekend and will liaise with Verstappen about his role.
“Max Verstappen will attend the Marrakesh E-Prix as a result of the stewards’ decision at the 2018 Brazilian Formula One Grand Prix,” said an FIA statement.
“Verstappen will spend the day as an observer to the stewards, closely following their work at a top-level international motor sport event as part of the educational and informative approach taken by the FIA in this matter.”